Thursday, November 5, 2009

What's in a name?

No pictures today, just some heavy text...

A few weeks ago I sent the link to my blog to members of my family.  My sister Betsy replied, "I love the photos-Dad would be so proud!"  I can quote it because I read it over and over and then moved it to my save file. 

My dad sadly passed away in March, 2002.  He lived a long full life but his passing was rather sudden and rather hard for me to swallow.  He passed right when Jay and I first started dating.  He never met him and this is something that continues to sadden me.  I know how proud he would be and I know he would be such a wonderful grandfather to Avery and Ander.  I wish so much he were here to be a part of their lives and so I struggle with how to keep his legacy going.  Even though he isn't here in person, he lives on in spirit and through me.  It wasn't until now that I realized how much... bear with me, I promise to not make this a novel!

My dad was an amateur photographer.  He took pictures as a hobby because he loved it.  I still have many of his photos and they are beautiful... of animals, street signs, random people, windmills, family (and me), etc.  He was really talented.  He bought me my first camera and never complained about developing pictures of the cat week after week.  Not once! 

Over the years I have continued to take pictures because I love it and because I love having the memories.  Well once I captured that picture of Ander it dawned on me that I may actually have a natural talent for photography.  I also don't think it's by coincidence that Ander looks a lot like my dad (just compare their wavy red hair! :))  I absolutely love capturing those beautiful moments, expressions, sweet smiles that only last a second.  To quote my sister Betsy again, "capturing the extraordinary in the ordinary."  It's not as easy as I previously thought but the result is oh so worth it to me for those select extraordinary pictures.

Getting back to my original point... after reading that email from my sister I had an "ah-ha" moment.  All of this really comes from my father.  This is his legacy and I owe any natural talent I have to him.  I can only hope to carry on what started with him; my photography is a way he will continue to live on.  My dad is not only in my heart but also very much in my art. 

Thus I am changing the name of my blog to Tyler Plank Photography to honor my father, Robert Fulton Plank.  I love you always and miss you immeasurably.


3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Tyler. Your dad would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh tyler, how you are honoring your dad is so amazing. clearly, he is with you and his memory alive forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. He would be really proud of you not just for your awesome photography gift but also because you are an amazing mother and a beautiful person inside and out!

    ReplyDelete