Friday, August 13, 2010

It's all about the camera and Photoshop... or is it?

I hear a lot of comments regarding how my camera takes great pictures or how I must be a whiz in Photoshop to get the results I do.  Absolutely!  My camera DOES take great pictures when I have my manual setting adjusted to expose each shot correctly, my focus point selected purposefully and good composition and crop set in-camera.  And I really DO love Photoshop for enhancing the images and bringing them to life.  It's an amazing tool!  I have learned first-hand that most of the work is behind the lens and in the knowledge of the photographer.  Through guidance, patience and practice I have come to a point where I consistently get good shots straight out of camera (SOOC) and through my knowledge of Photoshop I simply apply basic enhancements.  For some images I do more complicated editing (such as the baby in the sac) but those images do not reflect the majority of what I love to capture... I find beauty to simply be capturing babies, children and families as they are.   At the end of the day I am still learning as a photographer and that continues to drive me.  Each day I work to better my skills and be the best photographer I can be because, although it's cliche, it truly is a passion... and unfortunately it's not all about the camera.  So THANK YOU to the photographers who continue to inspire and teach me, the families who entrust me to capture their precious memories and my family and friends who support me and my very time-consuming love for this art :).  I truly am grateful.    

3 comments:

  1. I agree! It is definitely NOT all about the camera and photoshop ... but definitely ALL about the person behind the camera! I have a pretty good camera, and play around with photoshop too ... but my pictures look NOTHING like your SOOC shots! They're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I agree. If one more person, upon seeing my images, says "your camera is amazing", Im going to scream ;)....

    ReplyDelete